- A dog's heart beats 70 to 120 times a minute... a human heart beats 70 to 80 times a minute.
- The largest breed of dog is the Irish Wolfhound. The Chihuahua is the smallest, while breeds like the St. Bernard and Mastiff are among the heaviest.
- Dogs are not born knowing the words "Sit", "Down", "Stand".
Emeryn : Wahaha, but now my dog undersands coz I taught her.But seems like she only understand these commands when there's food around
- Dogs and men are the only animals with prostate glands.
- There are about 700 types of pure breed dogs.
Emeryn : What a huge amount! I only knewa few.
- Dachshunds were bred to fight badgers in their dens.
- The most intelligent dogs are said to be Border Collies, Poodles and Golden Retrievers.
- A Bloodhound can identify several smells simultaneously.
Emeryn : Great nose!
- Dalmatian puppies are usually pure white when born.
Emeryn : I din know this!
- The smallest dog in history was a tiny Yorkie from Blackburn, England. At two years of age and fully grown, this little canine was an amazing 6.35cm tall by 9.5cm long, and weighed only 113grams!
Emeryn : Please don't let your dog run around, some one might have step on it!
- Most domestic dogs are able to reach speeds of 30.5kms per hour, when running flat out. The Greyhound, the king of canine speedsters, is capable of reaching speeds of up to 64kms per hour!
Emeryn : Damn..they run so fast..I guess my fastest speed is only about 10km/h . Hahaha.
- The oldest dog on record was an Australian cattle-dog named Bluey. He was put to sleep at the ripe old age of 29 years and five months!
Emeryn : What an old dog. Respect!
- All dogs, from the German Shepherd to the tiny Poodle, are technically of the same species and can breed together and produce fertile offspring.
- The world's heaviest (and longest) dog ever recorded was an Old English Mastiff named Zorba. In 1989, Zorba weighed about 155kg and was 3.1m long from nose to tail!
Emeryn : That's almost 5 times of my current weight!
- A survey revealed that at least 63 per cent of dog owners admitted to kissing their dogs. Of these, 45 per cent kissed them on the nose, 19 per cent on the neck, 7 per cent on the back, 5 per cent on the stomach and 2 per cent on the legs.
Emeryn : I do kiss my dog..every part of her except her moust aea and butt~
- The tallest dog on record was named Shamgret Danzas. He was 1.06m tall, at the shoulder, and weighed 108kg.
- A frightened dog puts its tail between its legs to cover the scent glands in the anal area. Since the anal glands carry personal scents that identify individual dogs, this behaviour is the canine equivalent of insecure humans hiding their faces.
Emeryn : Interesting...
- Dogs can very easily regurgitate. In fact, after eating, wolves can travel significant distances back to their dens and regurgitate their food at will to feed their pups!
- Surveys show that 62 percent of dog owners admit their dog owns a jumper, wintercoat or raincoat.
- Dogs can see colour but it is not as vivid as the colour humans see. Dog colour is similar to what we see at twilight.Research
Emeryn : I thought dog can't see colours at all. Only black and white.
- The average city dog lives three years longer than the average country dog!
- Chocolate kills dogs! Chocolate affects a dog's heart and nervous system; a few ounces are enough to kill a small dog.
Emeryn : I din know about this and I fed Suki with lotsa Chocolates last time! But after readong about chocolate kills dog some where, I stopped and pray hard that nothing happens to my Furkid.
Hope you guys enjoy these fact as much as I do!
*NOTE : Facts taken from http://www.pedigree.com.au/dogknows/